We are Seven Questions-Answers | Odisha Board Class 10 English Second Chapter
We Are Seven
Questions and Answers
Let’s understand the poem:
1) What notable features of a simple child does the poet describe in the first stanza?
Ans: The child is very simple and carefree. She is vibrant and lively in nature.
2) What does the poet write about the habitation and the appearance of the girl?
Ans: The girl lived in countryside house. She was eight years old and had curly thick hair. She was beautiful girl with fair eyes.
3) How does the poet start the conversation with the girl and what does the girl say in reply?
Ans: In “We Are Seven,” the poet begins the conversation by asking the young girl how many siblings she has, to which she replies that she has seven siblings.
4) What answer does the girl give to the poet relating to her brothers, sisters and mother?
Ans: The girl tells the poet that they are seven brothers and sisters in all. She lives with her mother and two of her siblings were in the grave.
5) Why does the answer given by the girl puzzle the poet?
Ans: When the girl tells the poet that two of her siblings were in the grave, then the poet gets puzzled that since two of them were dead, there would be five siblings in total. But the girl keeps telling that they are seven in all which confuses the poet.
6) What argument does the girl put forth to prove that her two dead brothers and sisters have not been separated from her?
Ans: The girl argues that her brother and sister were in the grave for she didn’t know what death was. She told the poet she often knit kerchief, and sing a song to them. And also she eats supper there which makes clear to her that they were still there.
7) How does her sister suffer before her death?
Ans: Her sister, Jane died because of long suffering of physical pain. She was bed-ridden and had unbearable pain and her time came to exit from the world.
8) How does God release Jane from her suffering?
Ans: God released Jane from her unbearable pain by taking her with him, i.e by making her die.
9) What did she and her brother use to do round her sister’s grave when the grass was dry?
Ans: The little girl and her brother used to play round their sister, Jane’s grave when the grass was dry.
10) At what time of the year did John die?
Ans: John died in the winter.
11) How does the poem end?
Ans: In the end of “We Are Seven,” the poet reflects on the girl’s innocent belief that her dead siblings are still part of her family, recognizing that her simple faith allows her to feel a connection to them despite death, and wonders what a child could truly know of death.
Let’s appreciate the poem:
1) What does the second line of the first stanza: “that lightly draws its breath” suggest?
Ans: The phrase “lightly draws its breath” in the second line of the first stanza of “We Are Seven” suggests the delicate and innocent nature of childhood, free from the burdens and responsibilities of adulthood.
2) Explain the meaning of the third line of the first stanza: “And feels its life in every limb”
Ans: “And feels its life in every limb” means that child was very fresh and active. She was lively and her body parts were active which made her enthusiastic.
3) What does the poet write about a child’s knowledge of death?
Ans: A child is completely unaware of the death. In the poem, the girl does not know that once the person is dead, they never come back, but the poor the girl thought that her siblings were alive. A child’s perception of death is totally different from the adult.
4) Describe the surroundings in which the poet finds the girl.
Ans: The poet find the girl in a rustic and woodland air. The surrounding was covered with beautiful nature.
5) Why does the girl look “wondering” at the poet after answering his questions about her family?
Ans: The girl is innocent and simple and could not understand why the poet is asking about her family.
6) What does the line, “Their graves are green”, imply?
Ans: “Their graves are green” that for the girl the grave is not symbol of death. She didn’t accept the fact that her brother and sister were dead. Here green implies lively.
7) How is the time after sunset described by the poet?
Ans: The poet describes the sunset through the girl. The time after the sunset is light and fair.
8) What does the line “And when the ground was white with snow”, suggest?
Ans: The line “And when the ground was white snow” suggests that the winter was heavy the snow which made which made everything white.
9) What does the expression, “Twas throwing words away”, mean?
Ans: The expression “Twas throwing words away” means that the girl knows that her sister and brother are dead; she believes that they are still with her.
1) “We are Seven”? Describe who the seven are. What are their names? Where are they?
Ans: The seven are the siblings of the little girl that includes herself too. The girl’s one sister and one brother left this world. The name of her sister who left the world was Jane and name of the brother was John. Two of her siblings were at Conway while the other two went to sea. And the girl was with her mother.
2) Write a note on the feelings and ideas of the child and the adult described in the poem and give your own comments on them.
Ans: In “We Are Seven,” the child and the adult have different attitudes towards death and loss. The child believes that her dead siblings are still present in spirit and counts them as part of her family, while the adult questions her logic and argues that death is final. The child’s perspective emphasizes the power of memory and love to transcend physical death, while the adult’s perspective is grounded in rationality and fact. The contrasting attitudes in the poem invite readers to reflect on their own beliefs and experiences with mortality.
👉 All Chapters Answers: Click Here
You may also like:–
👉 Subscribe Our YouTube Channel: Click Here
Keywords: We are Seven Questions-Answers
We are Seven | We are Seven Questions-Answers
Odisha Board Class 10 English | Odisha Board Class 10 We are seven Textbook Solution | Odisha Board Class 10 English we are seven Question Answer We are Seven Questions-Answers
Odisha Board Class 10 English Third Chapter We are Seven Questions-Answers
We are Seven Questions-Answers
Official Website BSE Odisha: Click Here